Indigestion is not any disease, but rather a few symptoms you experience which include the feeling of fullness or abdominal pain soon after you begin eating. Also known as the upset stomach or dyspepsia, indigestion is the general term that describes discomfort in the upper abdomen. Always look for the indigestion symptoms so that you can avoid going through one of the most usual ailments of your intestines (bowel), impacting almost 20% of individuals in the US. Moreover, maybe only 10% of the ones affected seek medical attention for their indigestion.
As far as indigestion remedies are concerned, make sure to drink 1 cup of peppermint tea after the meals for quickly soothing the stomach or keep some of its pieces in your pocket to suck on the candy after eating. Besides, Chamomile tea can also relieve indigestion and ease your gut discomfort by decreasing stomach acid in your gastrointestinal tract.
Indigestion has a lot of possible causes. Mostly, it is associated with lifestyle as well as might be triggered by drink, medication, or food.
Its common causes include –
- Greasy, Spicy, or Fatty foods
- Eating too quickly or overeating
- A lot of alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, or chocolate
- Specific iron supplements, pain relievers, and antibiotics
At times, other digestive conditions also become the indigestion causes such as –
- Peptic Ulcers
- Gastritis (Stomach Inflammation)
- Celiac Disease
Symptoms & Signs of Indigestion
Indigestion symptoms can include –
- Abdominal Pain
- Burning in your upper abdomen or stomach
- Gas and Belching
- Full Feeling (Bloating)
- Acidic Taste
- Vomiting & Nausea
- Growling Stomach
- Stomach Discomfort
- Acid Reflux or Heartburn (Acid Indigestion)
- Decreased Appetite
- Diarrhea or Constipation
- Feeling uncomfortably full after taking the meal
- Feeling full too soon during consuming your meal
- Burping up liquid or Food
A lot of o people choose home remedies for indigestion after having these symptoms like drinking enough water. Don’t forget that staying dehydrated increases the difficulty in digestion and makes it less effective, which boosts the possibility of an upset stomach. Also, if you are suffering from indigestion, avoid going to bed for a few hours at least until it passes, and make sure to not lie down.
Consult with the doctor in case these symptoms continue for over 2 weeks.
Get medical care quickly in case the symptoms are severe, like –
- Trouble in swallowing
- Shortness of breath
- Throwing up blood
- Ongoing vomiting
- Cold sweats
- Sudden pain in your arm, chest, jaw, or neck
- Black, bloody, or thick stool
Read Also: Useful Tips For a Better Digestion
The symptoms like cold sweats or acid pain in stomach might increase during stress. Often, people have heartburn (the burning sensation deep in your chest) in addition to indigestion. However, heartburn itself is the different symptom that might signify another issue.
- Are you experiencing indigestion symptoms? If yes, then it is suggested to make an appointment for meeting your doctor as soon as possible.
- As Indigestion is a broad term, it would be helpful to offer the doctor with an accurate description of the kind of discomfort you experience.
- While defining your signs and symptoms of indigestion, make sure to describe where in your abdomen the discomfort often takes place.
- The doctor will rule out the underlying conditions which might be causing the symptoms.
- He might perform various blood tests as well as you might have X-Rays of your small intestine or stomach.
- Also, the doctor might recommend you have the upper endoscopy for looking closely at the inside of the stomach.
As mentioned above, reach out to your healthcare expert in case there are changes in the symptoms or if the symptoms like indigestion pain in chest remain the same for a prolonged period or worsen. Also, in case they are taking place with unintentional weight loss, difficulty in swallowing, blood in your stool, or inability in eating because of poor appetite. Visit the healthcare expert for daily check-ups. Please note that a few testing performed for diagnosing the indigestion causes might be repeated in the long run for gauging the treatment response.